I'm not proud of the lag time since the last post, but there's been good reason for the radio silence over here! Almost four months ago, we shared the fruits of labor of students at Leif Ericson Day School as they celebrated Lutheran Schools week. Since then, a lot has happened at LSA. Read on for some of those details!
- Educators from across LSA came together to be trained and score NYS tests for grades 3-8.
- LSA accepted a Lutheran Crusader Fund grant to support its Human Resources hotline and help offset the cost of professional development in this important area.
- School leaders from all over the region came together to learn about Human Resources practices in a Leaders Conference titled Effective Employment Practices. A reprise of this day will be offered on September 29 in Mount Vernon, NY, thanks to our gracious hosts at The Wartburg. Registration coming soon!
- We celebrated milestones in Lutheran education with over 100 staff, representing early childhood through post-secondary. We thanked exiting Board members Pastor Bob Boehler and Marie Rampino, welcomed new LSA Board of Directors members, and honored the following award recipients:
- Martin Luther School (Maspeth) - Stanley J. Kramer Spirit Award
- James Dhyne, The Chapel School (Bronxville) - Educator of the Year
- Kathleen Leich, St. John's Early Childhood Center (Merrick) - Administrator of the Year
- Courtney Lambertson, LI Lutheran Day School (E. Northport) - Rookie of the Year
- Jennifer Pomares, Astoria Lutheran School (Astoria) - Teacher Assistant of the Year
- Jacquelyn Kildale, LI Lutheran Day School (E. Northport) - Elementary Teacher of the Year
- Amber Browning, LI Lutheran Middle & High School (Brookville) - Middle School Teacher of the Year
- Debbie Cook, Lutheran Schools Association - Distinguished Service Award (This was a surprise!!)
- Many of our regional clusters met for the last time this school year. We thank Annette Valerio (Redeemer Nursery School, Queens Village) for her years of service to Lutheran schools and as a cluster coordinator for the 2+ years.
- LSA exhibited at the Metro New York Synod's annual assembly.
- We had our first LSA Board meeting of the new year, and welcomed Deb Cavacchioli, John Litke, Monique Nunes, and Jeff Stone.
- We finished LSA's office move. Thanks to Martin Luther School for so graciously hosting us these past 4 years!
- We continued planning for the 2016-17 school year, including our A Perfect Summer's Day event on Monday, August 29. Our annual golf outing now includes a wine tour of North Fork of LI. Learn more and register today.
We look forward to being more active in the blog space starting this summer. Look for future posts on a weekly basis!